Grimey

for the last week i have been busy with the rebuild of the SCX10, the former owner was neglecting it a bit, its really dirty , well it was really dirty, now its clean and in pieces.

 

i’ve replaced some of the tapping screws with machine hex ones, also having built the wraith before one can see the price difference. im not saying its a cheap kit but it you can see why its a bit cheaper than the wraith kit .Working on it is similar to the wraith and is nothing special , one thing that annoyed were the flanged tubes in the steering knuckles, keeping those in when reinstalling them was a fun 5 minute experience of fiddling and swearing. the screws on the knuckles were one of those which i replaced to machine thread ones.

 

eventually i need to replace the dog bones to universals up front to get more steering angle .  The truck was missing a couple of screws, i don’t know if was the previous owner or what but all is replaced now thanks to the local screw shop.  one of the mods being done to the truck is the drilling trough of the input and output shafts so they can accept the set screw as the wraith, this rtr version of mine is the older one with just grub screws to hold the driveshaft on the shafts. this back out a lot and a really a design flaw. My dad is doing the drilling as write this and the shafts will be back here tomorrow. getting one of the shafts out was a bit of a problem as the grub screw was stripped as it was over torqued, after i’ve finally got the screw out with a 1/16 ball head hex driver the shaft would not budge, it was packed with so much loctite that it created a ridge. a lot of elbow grease later it was out some how.

mirrored scx-10 transmission to prevent torque twist

 

i’ve also mirrored the transmission, which help to prevent torque twist . But the most time intensive thing was rebuilding the shocks. first of all, the bumper stops were 10mm instead of the 8mm they should be , after i’ve cut that , i filled them as per instructions , but that resulted in too stiff shocks as they were over filled, then i’ve under filled them which made them have too much air in them. Then i’ve found instructions on how to bleed them by placing them on the sides with the the cap not screwed down to the end and now they are butter smooth. I might get some softer larger springs later on though , will see.

 

also i have moved the battery plate forward , but i might need to move the electronics back as supposedly it rubs with the 4 link , but i need to make the links first and the rod ends are still in transit. if all goes according to plan tomorrow night we might have a rolling chassis.

 

 

Advertisements
Tagged

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: