Today 365 days ago this blog got started, today i present :
The Wraith Hood hinged mod
things you will need :
– 6.4mm Cable clamps , i’ve used these from Conrad
– magnets, got them from my dad.
– M3 bolts normal and countersunk, washers and nuts
– a reamer
– a Dremel or X-acto knife
– Shoe Goo
clamps left on for illustration.
Shave or dremel the plastic bumps on the frame where the original screws went into. Afterwards drill the holes to 3mm and tap them (or just use self tapping screws), screw in two countersunk bolts in the front holes.
careful when reaming holes
Ream the two new holes for the cable clamps, be careful of their placement as i’ve managed to do them a bit of center. Screw in the two bolts, i’ve used m3x10, then a washer, cable clamp, then the lock nut. Adjust so its centered, then tighten down, but not too much.
a bit of shoe goo goes a long way
Screw in the button head bolts into the existing mount holes, ream them bigger if necessary, add a nut on the other side and put a mark on the bolt thread, so you can cut of the the bit which extrudes. Remove the bolts and dremel them to size, put them back and add the nuts, tighten but not too much. Glue the magnets with a bit of shoe goo so it connects to the nut. Repeat on the other side.
no extra holes 😀
You are done ! The hood opens easily but its still tight enough to not be opened after a crash (still pending testing). If more security will be required then i’ll add the magnets to the upper screw area of the original .
Changing batteries with this mod should be easier, and no more lost screws …
The Wraith Hinged Hood