The weather is lousy , but things are moving along .
over the last few days a couple of things arrived :
– XT60 connectors for switching over from Tamiya plugs
– an used Ezrun B5 combo (8.5 turn brushless motor with a 60 amp ESC)
– Five Stars FS7039 Steel main shaft for DF03 Slipper clutch all the way from Champ International JR from Osaka Japan, this shaft seems to be the only thing which is wrong with the df03, as it replaces the aluminium shaft of the original tamiya kit . They also seem to be very hard to find out of Japan.
– Tamiya 53922 05pinion Gear 23T,25T
– Tamiya 53925 DF03 Slipper Clutch set
– and some bearings, but thats another story.
components to make the DF03 brushless ready , with the holy grail , the Fivestars FS7039 Steel main shaft for DF03 Slipper clutch
After Mojca became a master of soldering and converted over all the XT60 plugs , i was ready to go to install the Ezrun 8.5 into the DF03.
EZrun 3650 is a full size 540 motor, with even more torque than the 3650s finned motors which are 380 motors in a 540 can
The Fivestars shaft is a perfect replacement , for the Tamiya part , installation was flawless , except that i forgot the two shims on the original shaft , so i had to take it apart twice 🙂
DF03 slipper clutch is necessary for a brushless motor. keeps the torque at bay
After everything was wired up , a problem appeared . if i kept the ESC and the receiver on the side opposite the servo , i ran out of space. that might work on a DF03ra chassis which has a sedan body , but the DF03 buggy body is tiny , so i moved the receiver to the other side and now it all fits .
no way to get the body on.
everywhere you look for pictures of the ezrun esc, no one shows you the pair of resistors which are rather large (almost the 1/2 size of the ESC) .
now it all fits , even with the Turnigy 4000 mah lipo and its thick cables
i’ve tested with the body on and its perfect . i need to tidy up the wiring a bit its basically done . judging from the acceleration test in the living room its wickedly fast , definitely faster than the blitz. Its using the 82t spur wheels included with the slipper clutch and 23t pinion. now only if the weather will clear up so i can get some driving done.